Monday, February 11, 2008

A week at the theatre

This week I have had the privilege of working with lovely people from the Citizens' Theatre and TAG theatre company as part of my weeks work experience. I'd like to take this opportunity to thank everyone who has been involved in my placement. I have had a marvellous time this week and it has been an experience second to none.

I was delighted on Monday to be able to observe rehearsals for Waiting for Godot. I found the rehearsal process extremely interesting, listening to the director Guy Hollands and the actors, discussing the text and deciding on the real meaning of their lines, It was fascinating to listen in on the different approaches. I also had the excitement of watching a run through of Act one, It was great and I'm really looking forward to seeing the finished production.

On Tuesday and Wednesday, I went out with Neil and Louise to Bannerman High School and met even more lovely people. It was all part of a project with Learning Teaching Scotland to create a short film about financial issues that could be shown in other schools in Glasgow. It was a hectic couple of days, the first day devising the scenes that needed to be filmed, the second day filming, introducing the ultimate game of "Whoosh!" and our adventure through the school to find a spare classroom which unfortunately was unsuccessful and our magical mystery tour ended up in the school canteen and the staff car park.

Then on Thursday, I got another fantastic opportunity to go out to Glenlee Primary School with Elly and Angela to observe a creative writing workshop that will ultimately end in the production of a book of the children's work. It was brilliant being immersed in the children's imaginations, they were exceptionally talented and had many great ideas.

My weeks work experience was full of excitement. Having the chance to work with awe-inspiring people from many different aspects of drama has really added to the learning experience. I don't think I've ever learned so much in such a short period of time before and this is entirely due to all the great work and effort that everyone put in to create an interesting week for me. So all in, it was a fantastic experience.

Thanks again for giving me the chance to be part of your team for a week. I can't bare the thought of returning to school now but hopefully our paths will cross soon and I'll see you again.

Jayne Austin (Castlehead High School)
(...Written without Pride and Prejudice)

No comments: