Friday, July 04, 2008

Siobhan's blog - Stammering Project

We are starting a wee series of posts from participants of our pilot drama project for young people who stammer. The next stage of this project, Outspoken starts at the Citizens on 28 August. If you're aged 16-30, stammer and want to find out more, click Outspoken. In the mean time here's what Siobhan wrote:

I first heard about the workshops through BSA Scotland. I knew TAG had organised a few drama workshops for people who stammer. I hadn’t been able to make it to these but had heard from people I know that they’d been fun. I came along because the workshops sounded like fun and different to anything I’d done before to do with stammering, particularly as there was scope for creativity. I also thought it would be a good opportunity to speak (and stammer) in a safe environment and meet other young people who stammer. Everyone who came to the workshops was really enthusiastic. Most of us hadn’t met before but as we were working in groups it didn’t take long to get to know everyone. A few people have started coming to the stammering self-help group that I’m a member of.



I particularly enjoyed the workshop based on the prologue of Romeo and Juliet. We’d covered it in higher English and had really only read it, so it was fun to put a bit more life into it. We worked on different sections of it individually, in pairs and in larger groups and it ended up feeling far more like the League of Gentlemen than high school. The workshops have helped to boost my confidence. A few months ago I’d never have believed I could get up in front of a group of people and act out a scene without feeling self-conscious and I certainly wouldn’t have believed that I’d enjoy doing that kind of thing. On the way to the first session, as well as being really nervous, I got lost and was running late and seriously thought about just going home, and I’m really glad I didn’t let that stop me.

It’s great to think that through this project we could improve the amount of information on stammering available in schools and make school a bit easier for people who stammer help other young people who stammer to do everything they want to do in life.

Think you could benefit from this? Click Outspoken for more details.

Hx

No comments: