Friday, May 16, 2008

The blog lady lands

I'm sitting in a Deli in Brooklyn on a decidely rainy Friday morning. I seem to have accidentally brought the Scottish weather with me. The blog lady has finally landed in the US of A to join the intrepid cast of Yellow Moon for their final days of the show in New York as part of the Brits Off Broadway festival.

Having arrived yesterday morning and spent an afternoon getting aquainted with Midtown, I watch the show at 59E59 last night. It was great to see it again and to see the venue the cast have been telling us about. I never tire of watching it. Andy was convinced I'd fallen asleep but I think he must have glanced at me during a contact lens malfunction (mine, not his)! Being awake for that long was playing havoc with my eyes.

A great energised show seemed even more in-yer-face in the intimate space at the theatre. I loved watching New Yorkers respond to it. Especially when they cover their faces or gasp. For me that's now half the fun of seeing the show...watching the audience.

I bumped into Emma from the Traverse in the theatre bar, about to head in and catch their show Damascus. Very strange indeed to see such familiar faces so far away. The Stellar Quines crew were also in the building for The Unconquered.

I managed to keep my eyes open til an astonishing 2am (which is actually 7am at home) as we went to a great Cabaret night in Chelsea. After a good night's sleep, I'm meeting Nal and Andy shortly before heading back to Manhattan to check out the Met with Keith this afternoon. Fingers crossed it stays dry for the rest of the weekend.

So, this is it, if you happen to be in New York this weekend, this is your last chance to check out Yellow Moon stateside. The UK tour starts in earnest on 23 May when they head to DG One in Castle Douglas. More info and all other tour dates are here.

...at last, "I'm in a story"!

Hx

No comments: