Monday, October 22, 2007

Yellow Moon wins at TMA Awards

Last night Yellow Moon was named Best Show for Children and Young People at the TMA Awards in London.

These annual Theatrical Management Association Awards were swept by Scottish Theatre with 5 of the 12 categories being won by Scots (there were a further 2 nominations).

Alongside TAG/Citizens the other winning Scots were:

Best Touring Production
- The Wonderful World of Dissocia (NTS)
Best Supporting Performance in a Play
- Meg Fraser (All My Sons, Lyceum)
Best Performance in a Supporting Role in a Musical
- Ann Louise Ross (Sunshine on Leith, Dundee Rep) and
Best Musical Production
- Sunshine on Leith (Dundee Rep)

Anna Stapleton (the Citizens' Administrative Director) and myself went along and almost immediately started to get excited as our seats were in the second row. There was no prior warning for winners, but Anna reckoned that we might get an idea from the location of our seats.

As the butterflies built, we were excited to see Lee Mead, star of Andrew Lloyd Webber's Joseph and winner of the Any Dream Will Do TV series, appear to present our category. When he read out Yellow Moon as the winner - I learnt later - that there was a whoop from the Scottish contingent further back. I didn't hear it at the time as I was too busy concentrating on not falling in my heels. I made my way up to receive the award (Thanks Guy - for asking me to go) and answered a couple of questions about the production.

There were a few photos taken backstage for the OK Diary, amongst other publications...finally my chance of fame! Winner of the Best Performance in a Play category, the inimitable Patrick Stewart (who received his award from Stockard Channing) even stopped to offer his congratulations. I reciprocated obviously...it'd be rude not to!

I'll try to track down some pictures of the evening.

Well done to David Greig, Guy Hollands, the cast, crew and all involved in the production. Truly a night to remember.

Hx

No comments: